Temperatures are creeping up in Alachua County and that means your air conditioner will soon be working full-time to keep your home cool. Even well-maintained HVAC systemsexperience occasional glitches from time to time, so it’s helpful to know a few troubleshooting tips before calling the professionals.
Troubleshooting Air Conditioner Problems
The following steps may get your air conditioner running again. If not, they will provide more information for your HVAC contractor should you need to schedule an appointment.
- Check the thermostat. Is the unit set to “cool” and “auto”? Sometimes thermostats are knocked into the “off” or “fan” position, which will keep the A/C from cycling on.
- Take a look at the air filter. Have you changed the air filter recently? Clogged filters keep the system from running efficiently and can eventually burn it out. If you use the A/C regularly, the filter should be checked every month and changed when dirt and dust begins accumulating.
- Inspect the condenser. Look over the outdoor condenser. Accumulated debris, including grass clippings, leaves, twigs and dirt, will prevent the condenser from pulling in fresh air in order to work efficiently. If blocked long enough, this can cause your unit to overheat and shut down.
- Check the air vents and ducts. Similarly, blocked air vents or dirty ducts will compromise A/C efficiency. Make sure all indoor air vents are free of furniture, drapes, wall hangings, etc., and clear them of any noticeable dirt, cobwebs or debris. Remove a vent or two and peek at the ducts inside. If they look dirty or you see noticeable obstructions, it’s time to schedule a duct cleaning.
- Check the condensate pump. Is there water pooling in the pan? If so, add a little more water and see if the pump turns on to clear it out. If not, your pump is either off or broken, which will affect your system’s ability to cool and dehumidify your air.
Learn more about Bounds Heating & Air’s solutions for air conditioner problems, or contact us today at 352-472-2761 to schedule an appointment.